ABOUT US

The North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame was founded in 1995. Operating as a 501(c)3, the NDCHF is governed by its Board of Directors and led by an Executive Director. The NDCHF relies on, and is grateful for, the generous contributions of our faithful supporters. 

ADDRESS

250 Main Street

PO Box 137

Medora, ND 58645-0137

701-623-2000

heritage@northdakotacowboy.com

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
Modern-era Ranching
Inducted 2003

Brooks James Keogh was born August 4, 1914, at Williston, the son of Frank and Elizabeth (Carney) Keogh.  He grew up near Keene on the Keogh Ranch founded by his father and uncle in 1899. He attended rural schools, Williston High School and the College of St. Thomas in Minnesota, graduating in 1938.


Brooks worked for a Montana oil company before entering the U.S. Marine Corps in 1944. After the war, he started a Hereford cattle partnership with his father and began a Quarter horse breeding program.


He married Kathleen “Kay” Hyland in 1944, and they had three children. Kay died in 1970, he married Elizabeth Coughlin in 1972.


Brooks was a founder and the only president of the Sanish Rodeo Association, North Dakota Stockmen’s Association president in 1954-1956 and American National Cattlemen’s Association president in 1964-1966. He was a National Livestock Producers board member, an original trustee of the National Cowboy Hall of Fame and active in the McKenzie County Grazing Association.


Brooks was honored as the NDSU Saddle & Sirloin Club’s Agriculturalist of the Year in 1966, inducted into the ND Agriculture Hall of Fame and received the NDSA Top Hand Award in 1982. The Greater North Dakotan Award recognized his lifelong service to industry, friends, state and country in 1983.


He owned and operated the historic Keogh Ranch until his death on July 31, 1984.