ABOUT US

The North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame was founded in 1995. Operating as a 501(c)3, the NDCHF is governed by its Board of Directors and led by an Executive Director. The NDCHF relies on, and is grateful for, the generous contributions of our faithful supporters. 

ADDRESS

250 Main Street

PO Box 137

Medora, ND 58645-0137

701-623-2000

heritage@northdakotacowboy.com

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
Pre-1940s Rodeo
Inducted 2011

Guy Anthony Fox was born in 1902 and lived his entire life on the Fort Berthold Reservation--Elbowoods, Shell Creek and Mandaree. As a youth, he went to school at Shell Creek and later attended Pipestone Indian School in MN.

A member of the Flint Knife clan, his first name was Yellow Dog, but his Grandmas Nora and Sarah purchased the name Bright Wings from a Crow family for him.

Eventually, Fox was allotted 320 acres of land and ranched and farmed successfully. His registered brand was the Seven-U-V on the right flank. 

He built a practice arena southeast of his home at Shell Creek where many native cowboys could practice bronco busting, bulldogging and roping.

Fox married Grace Parshall Fox, and they raised a big family of 15 children, several of whom also became outstanding rodeo cowboys.

 

His forte was in saddle bronc riding; he won at the Cannonball Rodeo in 1930 and, in 1938 and ‘39, was a contestant at the Van Hook Rodeo. He also participated at both the Sanish and Van Hook rodeos on the Fourth of July 1947.

Fox was a self-taught, non-traditional painter whose work is mentioned in the biographical directory of American Indian painters compiled by Jeanne Snodgrass. He obtained a tape recorder, and many people visited his home to record their songs.

He served on the tribal council during the 1950, was a member of the Mandaree School board and was active in the NDRA. Fox died in 1971 and is buried at the St. Anthony Cemetery, Mandaree.