ABOUT US

The North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame was founded in 1995. Operating as a 501(c)3, the NDCHF is governed by its Board of Directors and led by an Executive Director. The NDCHF relies on, and is grateful for, the generous contributions of our faithful supporters. 

ADDRESS

250 Main Street

PO Box 137

Medora, ND 58645-0137

701-623-2000

heritage@northdakotacowboy.com

SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
Pre-1940 Ranching
Inducted 2003

Theodore ‘Ted’ Henry Albers was born December 31, 1881, in Illinois to Johann and Margaretha (Wagoner) Albers. They homesteaded in Oliver County, Dakota Territory, in 1884 where Ted was raised.

Ted raised, sold and traded horses, served as Pinto Postmaster and was the proprietor of three stage lines carrying mail, passengers and freight. He also served as stock contractor and judge for early rodeos.

He married Helena Schmeling in 1909 at Churchtown, they had three children. They farmed and raised some of the finest registered Hereford cattle in the area.

Ted served three four-year terms as Oliver County sheriff between 1916 and 1936, during which time he investigated one of the largest livestock rustling cases in the area.

While sheriff, Ted was also involved in Albers Hereford Ranch, Hannover, with his son Martin. In 1929, Californian Bert Gaines of the Gaines Land Company hired Ted as foreman. In five years, he had built an operation that ran up to 500 award-winning cows.

In 1934, Ted and his family returned to their own operation with 40 pure-bred heifers from Gaines. The Albers ranch has earned national awards for its Hereford cattle.

Ted was a people person whose home was always open to those in need, he often hired people in need. He died September 16, 1946, and is buried in the Hannover Cemetery.